Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Just like that, Silvia is now a single mother of four


Guest Blog by Lindsey Owens

Lyndsey and David Owens are part of our ministry team in El Rosario and we could not be more fortunate to spend our days with them.  Please go to their blog at www.OwensInGuatemala.com and pray for them.  If God puts it on your heart, please consider supporting what God is doing through them in Guatemala.  Click here.



I’m 25 years old.
I grew up in a loving home with a mom and a dad.
I married my first boyfriend and love of my life.
I am blessed.

This morning as I sat on a porch in El Rosario, I had to hold myself back from weeping. My heart was broken and I had no words to express.  Only tears.

I was with Silvia, a mother of four beautiful children, who I have become pretty good friends over the past few months. I’ve had the opportunity to play with her children, to spend time chatting with her, and even was blessed to be able to go to the doctor with her and watch as God used medicine to heal her.

Last night, Silvia found out that her husband had two other families and was leaving her.

Just like that, Silvia is now a single mother of four.

Because of Silvia’s medical condition, she hasn’t been able to work. Four months ago she moved to El Rosario to live with her mother. She needed help taking care of her baby while she got better. A few weeks ago, when we went to the doctor, we prayed that God would use this to heal her so that she could go back to the city to live with her husband. She loves her husband. She missed him so much and couldn’t wait to get back.

Her husband had also been helping her with about $20 a month. This is not much, but it’s the only income the family has had.

Silvia is now without her husband and the money he had been sending her.

Silvia’s heart is broken. My heart is broken for her.

As we were sitting there… I had no words of comfort to speak to her. I had no great testimony from my own life to be able to tell her it would all be ok. Who am I to be able to speak anything into her life? I know nothing of this type of pain and struggle.

“The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.” –Deuteronomy 31:8

I told her what I do know...

“God is enough. That if we have Jesus then we have all we need.”

I held her hand.  God has a purpose for her life and that he was in control of everything, big and small.”

I had to take deep breaths to keep from crying uncontrollably.

“God is our strength and He will never leave us.”


We cried.

As I sat there… crying with Silvia and trying to shine the light of Christ on that porch. God asked me if I truly believed what I was telling her. Like I said, I am blessed. I don’t worry about not having food to eat. I have never feared David leaving me. I don’t know what it’s like to live in poverty or to be left by my husband.

But as I spoke words of comfort to Silvia…. I knew they were true.

“Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him.” –James 1:12 

This trial will be Silvia’s crown. God will not leave her. He will provide for her and her family. And He will do the same for you and for me. Each trial that we face is a test of our faith. Those who continue to honor God will receive the crown of life that is promised to all those who love the Lord.

“Adversity is the testing ground of our faith.” –Lynn Austin

When my faith is tested, I pray that I cling to God’s promise that He will never leave me or forsake me. He is my light in the midst of the darkness in this world. My prayer is that when the trials and adversity come, and it will come, that I continue to rejoice in the Lord through my tears. Knowing that His promises are as true today as they will be tomorrow.

Please join me in praying for Silvia as she perseveres under trial.


No comments:

Post a Comment